Job Location: Independent Cargo Screening - Los Angeles, CA
Position Type: Full Time
Salary Range: Undisclosed
Duties and Responsibilities
- Job Summary:
To perform a variety of duties related to providing security and protection of air travelers, airports, aircraft, warehouses and surrounding air cargo shipments. Discover and stop emerging transportation security threats utilizing state of the art technology.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Required to perform various tasks such as: operation of x-ray machines, operation of explosive trace detection machines and physical inspection of cargo.
- Responsible for identifying dangerous objects in cargo and preventing those objects from being transported onto aircraft with Explosive Trace Detection (ETD) equipment and visual and physical search.
- Continuously and effectively interact with various agents: cargo, airline, Transportation Security Administration (TSA), Customs and Border Protection (CBP), giving instructions and responding to inquiries in a reasonable tone and manner.
- Work within a demanding environment, which includes noise from alarms, machinery, people, distractions, time pressure and requirement to identify and locate potentially life-threatening devices and devices intended on creating massive destruction.
- Make effective decisions in both crisis and routine situations.
- Demonstrate diligence required to maintain security under Los Angeles World Airport (LAWA), Airport Police, Transportation Security Administration (TSA) and United States Customs/Border Protection (USCBP) Regulations.
- You will challenge any and all persons not displaying an airport I.D. badge within a Mercury warehouse or any Airport Operational Area. (AOA).
- Maintain records and appointments necessary for employment on the airport such as: airport badge appointments, TSA interviews or other government required meetings.
Physical Demands/Working Environment:
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must have a high school diploma, GED or equivalent; OR at least one year of full-time work experience in security work, aviation screener work, or x-ray technician work
- Must possess a clean driving record and valid Driver's License (DMV print-out required)
- Must provide 10 years background employment/education information
- Must provide proof of the legal right to work in the United States
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities (Desired or Required):
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 75 lbs.
- Tolerate moderate to loud level of noise in a work environment such as warehouse or tarmac
- May be required to work outdoors in various weather conditions such as cold, windy, rainy or heat
- Stand and remain standing for periods of up to 3 hours without sitting
- Demonstrate daily fitness or obligation without impairment due to illegal drugs, sleep deprivation, medication, or alcohol
- May be required to work all of the following: irregular hours and/or shifts, including split-shifts holidays and weekends; overtime; and extended hours.
- Maintain focus and awareness within an environment containing numerous distractions, people and noise.
This job description is a summary of duties for which you as an employee are expected to perform in your assignment. It is by no means an all-inclusive list, rather a broad guide to expected duties. As an employee you must understand that a job description is neither complete nor permanent and may be modified at any time. At the request of management, any employee may be asked to perform additional duties, responsibilities, or projects without notice.
- English proficiency (e.g., reading, writing, speaking, listening)
- Mental abilities (e.g., visual observation and identification, mental rotation)
- Interpersonal skills (e.g., customer service, dependability)
- Work values (e.g., responsibility, honesty, integrity)
- Physical abilities(e.g., lifting and carrying freight weighing up to 75 lbs., bending, reaching, stooping, squatting, standing, walking and identifying objects)
- Basic use of office equipment (copier, fax, calculator)
- Basic use of software and/or computer programs (MS Office)
- Knowledge of intermediate arithmetic and mathematics
- Knowledge of airline codes, prefixes, common cargo abbreviations
- Attention to detail
- Ability to prepare written documents and communications
- Ability to follow instructions from manager, supervisor and customer
- Ability to work as an effective team member
- Ability to obtain U.S. Customs seal and license to drive on Airport Operations Area (AOA).